Ragging in India is a damaging form of interaction of the seniors in college or school with the juniors, new entrants or first years. It is similar to but not the same as hazing in the United States, it is not an initiation. It involves insults (simple or suggestive sexual, sarcastic and even physical), running errands for seniors, and many other complex activities. Highly reputed Indian colleges have a history of ragging especially Medical colleges and others residential colleges. It has become increasingly unpopular due to several complaints of serious injury to the victims and stringent laws pertaining to ragging. Ragging is now defined as an act that violates or is perceived to violate an individual student’s dignity.
Hon,ble Supreme Court orders a National Anti-Ragging Helpline was launched by the Indian Government.. Students being ragged may send emails at email@example.com to register their complaint and in same to make your complaints immidiately to firstname.lastname@example.org to register the complaint, which can be registered without disclosing the name(s) of the victim(s). If the students wants, he or she may even complain without disclosing his or her name, by making an anonymous email id, or by calling the helpline number 9073125443. Effective action is taken by the College authority for the complaints registered to it. Many students even commit suicide due to ragging. It may even damage the mental ability of the students .Some people believe that ragging should be banned but some feel that it is a good way of making fresh entrants feel at home in school or in college
Ban on Ragging
“Ragging” means causing, inducing, compelling or forcing a student, whether by way of a practical joke or otherwise, to do any act which detracts from human dignity or violates his person or exposes him to ridicule or to forbear from doing any lawful act, by intimidating, wrongfully restraining, wrongfully confining or injuring him or by using criminal force to him or by holding out to him any threat of such intimidation, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, injury or the use of criminal offence. Supreme Court of India has defined ragging as a criminal offence.
L.J.D.Law College Falta has constituted an Anti-Ragging Committee headed by the Head of the institution, and consisting of representatives of civil and police administration, representatives of faculty members, representatives of parents, representatives of students belonging to the fresher’s category etc.
COMPLAINT OF RAGGING
- On receipt of complaints College Anti ragging committee shall be filed aFirst Information Report (FIR) to be filed within twenty four hours, with the police and local authorities.
- Head of the institution to forthwith report the incident of ragging to the District Level Anti-Ragging Committee and the Nodal officer.
- And College authority shall also continue with its own inquiry and remedial action to be completed with-in seven days.
A student violating the College anti ragging policy on substance abuse will face:-
- Immediate suspension from the college, pending inquiry.
- Parent/legal guardian will be informed immediately and will be expected to meet the Head of Institution (HOI) at the earliest.
- The Institutional disciplinary committee will conduct an inquiry and submit the report to HOI who will initiate further action in consultation with the Chairman of the College.